Rachel D.G. Horvath
Smith Bain Manuel & Horvath
455 Second Street, S.E., Suite 402
Post Office Box 240
Charlottesville, Virginia 22902
Rachel focuses her practice on civil litigation, including medical malpractice defense, coverage and defense, other personal injury defense, commercial litigation, and residential and commercial landlord/tenant litigation. Rachel also represents health care providers in response to Department of Health Professions complaints, including the Board of Medicine, Board of Nursing, and Board of Dentistry. Rachel graduated from Tulane University in 2007 and the University of Virginia School of Law in 2010.
Rachel has been named a Super Lawyers Rising Star for Medical Malpractice Defense every year since 2016. She has been an active member of the Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court, the Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association, and the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys. She is a graduate of the 2014 class of Leadership Charlottesville, and she serves on the Advisory Committee on Rules of Court of the Supreme Court of Virginia
Rachel lives in Charlottesville with her husband, two sons, and dog.
- Health Care Professional Representation
- Construction Law and Litigation
- Risk Management
- Insurance Coverage and Defense
- University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia, J.D., 2010
- Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, B.A., Psychology, summa cum laude with honors, 2007
- Virginia State Bar, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Rising Star Medical Malpractice, 2016-2019
- Virginia Business Magazine, Legal Elite, Young Lawyer, 2015 and 2018
- Departmental Honors in Psychology, Tulane University
- Phi Beta Kappa
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Advisory Committee on Rules of Court of the Supreme Court of Virginia
- Member, 2019-Present
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Director of Blue Ridge Region, 2017-Present
- Long-Range Planning Committee, 2017
- Website Committee, 2014
- Thomas Jefferson Inn of Court
- President, 2019-2021
- Vice President, 2017-2018
- CLE Chair, 2013-2017
- Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
- Board Member, 2015-2017
- Secretary, 2014-2015
- Co-Chair of the Young Lawyers Section, 2011-2015
- Virginia State Bar
- YLC District Representative, 7th District, 2017-2018
- University of Virginia School of Law Ten Year Reunion Committee
- Phi Beta Kappa
REPRESENTATIVE PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- “Department of Health Professions Complaints,” Sentara Risk Management Conference, Williamsburg, Virginia, April 2019.
- “The Dead Man’s Statute: Overlooked Issues, Updates, and Practice Pointers,” The Journal of Civil Litigation, forthcoming Vol. XXX, No. 4 (Winter 2018-2019).
- “Informed Consent Through the Lenses of Real World Cases,” Grand Rounds at Winchester Medical Hospital, Winchester, Virginia, November 7, 2018.
- “Vicious or Merely Dangerous? Preparing and Trying the Dog Bite Case,” Virginia CLE, Charlottesville, Virginia, June 7, 2011, June 24, 2015, and September 26, 2018.
- “The First 49,” Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys Auto & Transportation Section, Hot Springs, Virginia, October 2016.
- “Tales from the Trenches: Avoiding and Defending Malpractice Claims,” University of Virginia Medical Center, November 12, 2014.
- “Young Children’s Understanding of Spatial-Graphic Representations,” Honors Thesis, Psychology Department of Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, May 2007.