Elisabeth L. Manuel
Smith Bain Manuel & Horvath
455 Second Street, S.E., Suite 402
Post Office Box 240
Charlottesville, Virginia 22902
Betsy has a civil litigation practice with a focus on complex construction, insurance coverage, and commercial cases. In addition, she regularly provides advice on risk management, including contract drafting and negotiation, and counsels individuals and businesses in the construction industry as issues arise during the course of a project.
- Construction Law and Litigation
- Risk Management
- Insurance Coverage and Defense
- Health Care Professionals
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois, J.D., with high honors, 1995
- Member of The Order of the Coif
- Member of The Chicago-Kent Law Review
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, B.A., 1991
- The University of Virginia Trial Advocacy Institute, 2000
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Gino L. DeVito, Illinois Appellate Court, First Judicial District, 1995-1997
- Virginia, 1997
- Illinois, 1995
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Virginia Bar Association
- Civil Litigation Section Council, 2009-2018
- The Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys
- Board of Directors, 2009–2012
- The Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Women Lawyers Section, 2010-2012
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Chapter 20, “Insurance Coverage for Owners, General Contractors, Subcontractors, Architects and Engineers,” in Virginia Construction Law Deskbook (2019), co-author
- Chapter 16, “Commercial General Liability Insurance,” in Virginia Insurance Law (2019), co-author
- “Implied Contractual Indemnity in Virginia,” XXII J. of Civ. Litigation No. 3 (Fall 2010).
- “Construction Law: The Basics and More,” Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association, October 22, 2008.
- “Litigating Insurance Coverage Disputes,” The Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys, May 8, 2008.
- Chapter 20, “Insurance Coverage for Owners, General Contractors, Subcontractors, Architects and Engineers,” in Virginia Construction Law Deskbook (2008), Co-Author with James W. Barkley and Jessica H. Park.
- “A Modern Application of Traditional Conflict of Law Rules,” XVII J. of Civ. Lit. No. 2 (Summer 2005), Co-Author with Laura Olariu.
- “How to Try a $100,000 Case for Less than $100,000,” 25th Annual Construction and Public Contracts Law Seminar, November 5, 2004.
- “Toxic Mold Claims: Getting Started,” The Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys, May 17, 2002.
- “Toxic Mold Claims: Getting Started,” XIV J. of Civ. Litigation No. 1 (Spring 2002), Co-Author with James W. Barkley.
- Chapter 16, “Commercial General Liability Insurance,” in Virginia Insurance Law (2002), Co-Author with James W. Barkley, Alexander H. Slaughter, and H. Carter Redd.
- “Why Commercial General Liability Policies Do Not Provide Coverage for Claims for Faulty Workmanship,” XII J. of Civ. Litigation No. 2 (Summer 2000), Co-Author with James W. Barkley.
- “Mechanic’s Liens: The Essentials and More,” Central Virginia Subcontractors Association, April 11, 2000.